The Specialized Telecommunications Assistance Program (STAP) is a voucher program that provides financial assistance for assistive technology to Texas residents with communication barriers that interfere with access to the telephone. STAP covers the full cost of most assistive phones and devices. This program is available to individuals who are deaf and hard of hearing, as well as those who have loss of vision, mobility, speech, and cognitive function.
Our STAP Outreach Specialists are available to guide DFW residents through the application process. They have knowledge of a variety of specialized assistive devices and software used by persons with communication difficulties in accessing the telephone.
STAP Voucher Process:
- Contact Daymond (see contact information below) to schedule an appointment.
- Complete application with certification by a STAP Specialist.
- Provide proof of residence (driver’s license, state id, utility bill, or voter’s registration card).
- Once the two items are sent to the STAP office in Austin, allow approximately 6 months to receive your voucher.
- Your STAP Specialist is able to refer you to a vendor that will accept your voucher in exchange for a device of your choosing.