Our Deaf and Hard of Hearing Technology Specialists are available to help deaf and hard of hearing learn better ways to live with their hearing loss. Our Deaf and Hard of Hearing Technology Specialists are contracted with the Health and Human Services Commission – Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (HHSC-ODHHS) to promote communication access and independence for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing through technology and managing hearing loss.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community
- Provide One-On-One Services in our office, your home, or worksite to explain the resources and services available in Texas.
- Provide individual assistive technology and software demonstrations, assessments, and recommendations to clients to support communication and determine which telephones, listening systems, alerting devices or other assistive devices are suitable for the client’s workplace, education, community, and home settings.
- Share information about communication strategies, managing hearing loss, assistive technology and software, available resources for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing, current assistive technology
- Provide basic case management services to ensure clients can access the services they need.
- Connect clients with local, state, or national organizations and agencies that assist with hearing loss.
- Group or Individual Training:
- Speech transcription software,
- Gearing aids and Cochlear implants, various features, and basic tips for purchasing and using
- Recognizing and managing hearing loss
- Overcoming communication barriers in the workplace, in an educational setting, community, and home
- Coping strategies and identifying solutions for improving communication and maintaining independence.
BUSINESSES, ORGANIZATIONS, AND EMPLOYERS:
We can provide:
- Solutions and Support: We consult on assistive technology and communication access for businesses and employers to form effective communication strategies for clients and employees. We can provide onsite workplace technology assessments for individuals or groups.
- Workshops, Training, and Presentations: Provide education on serving people who are deaf or hard of hearing, using captioning services, understanding how hearing loss affects the workplace, and more. We can present on a wide variety of topics related to hearing loss including, community awareness, the impacts hearing loss has on workplace communication, and best practices when working with and communicating with deaf and hard of hearing individuals. We provide in-service presentations to school staff, hospital staff, and other state and local organizations.